Moirai Artist Profiles:

DIANE  YANAKOPULOS

I have been painting, writing and creating since childhood. I live my Art as an everyday way of life.
Freedom of creative expression is important to me which has allowed for sponteneity and a wide range of works over many years which are in various locations internationally and New Zealand.
The Messengers

The Moirai Studio/Gallery is the result of our long held dream now brought to fruition. Working in harmony together with Seabourne is both an honour and more than a little bit of magic!

Calypso
Bizarre
Arctic Ice













I am also creating a range of exclusive handmade 'Forest Jewels', featuring unique earrings and necklaces which combine vintage beads into these beautiful accessories.( Email enquiries/orders are welcomed for these one off designs.)

Moirai ~ from Greek mythology ~ means the Spinner, Weaver and the Cutter of the threads of Destiny.............. We have no doubt that The Moirai have spoken......................

Whatever your taste, you just may find it here!


SEABOURNE RUST

I am an artist, writer and paleontologist, my paintings weave together a love of nature, ecology, history and spirituality. Each unique work is produced 'from the heart', and attempts to convey colour, beauty, and deeper layers of personal meaning.
Pare & Lindauer - pastel on wood by S. Rust

I have drawn since a child, and have exhibited here and there over the years. I chose not to undertake formal art training, preferring instead to seek out and develop my own pathway(s) of creative expression. However some artistic influences include Van Gogh, Nicholas Roerich, Rei Hamon, J. Chaffey, H. Rust and D. R. Yanakopulos, as well as my experience of life in Aotearoa.
I have travelled widely in NZ, before heading north to put down roots at Moirai, Waipoua Forest. Here, alongside Diane, my work continues to flourish, with a variety of themes being explored, from natural history illustration of native forest scenes and dusk to dawn landscapes to historic churches...
commissioned tryptch in process
Currently I am literally 'drawing on my background in geology' by exploring the use of earth pigments - making my own natural paints sourced from local soils and clays for the 'Works of eARTh' series: 


Since the earliest periods of pictorial creative expression, artists have explored the use of naturally-occurring pigments, in particular those derived from crushed soils and mineral oxides, ash and plant extracts. Of those substances derived from the ground, the use of such pigments as paint (when combined with natural oils) to create coloured artworks reinforces, and enhances, the connection between artist and the Earth itself, the source of all around us. Northland is a wonderful hunting ground for earth pigments! In particular the Hokianga area, with the combination of complex geology and high rainfall contributing to a variety of rich-coloured, severly weathered rocks and derived clay soils ideal for paint-making. see my article in NZ Artist magazine Dec 2014.